Thursday 31 July 2014

I never knew .........

...... that Great Grey Shrikes regurgitate pellets, but then I had never given it any thought.

It does however make sense in view of their diet of beetles, small mammals ( reportedly up to the size of a stoat - incredible ! ) reptiles, lizards and even smaller birds.

A visit to Upper Hollesley Common near Woodbridge, Essex to photograph Crossbills ( to be posted tomorrow ) coincided with the arrival that day of a Great Grey Strike, what a stroke of luck.

Over a period of half an hour I slowly edged forwards through the heathland scrub always keeping patches of gorse between me and the bird, the bird was feeding unconcernedly dropping down to the ground and returning to its high perch but still some way away as I did not want to spook it.

I fired off hundreds of shots and then withdrew slowly by the same route.

It was only when I got home and processed the card that I came across the two images of the bird expelling the pellet. 

                                                                       On the way up






                                                                    And out it comes










                                                         Ready for take off

Great behavioural shots and very lucky to capture.

I guess the moral of the story is that sometimes you just plain get lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment