Wednesday 30 July 2014

A busy time of year for Willow Warblers ..............

Willow Warblers are notoriously difficult to tell apart from a Chiffchaff if the song is not heard so I sincerely hope that I have not got any of the following images mis-identified !.

Please let me know if I have as I am certainly a bit uncomfortable with the last image !.

Males are known to be polygamous having more than one mate so who knows, either way the breeding season has been very successful this year. 

The fledglings are out and about seemingly everywhere on the reserve with their fresh, more yellow plumage ..... sorry to say but migration of our summer visitors is under way, the cuckoos left Mid-July.  


The later breeders are still very busy feeding young and indeed it may be that with the good weather of late and the abundance of insects etc., that second broods are the order of the day, each brood consisting of 4-8 eggs.



1 comment:

  1. I am glad to hear I am not the only one who has problems id'ing these two species. Not confident enough to confirm the last image, sorry

    ReplyDelete