Monday 27 July 2015

My Plant identification is as good as my Butterfly and Dragonfly identification ..... awful !

Last weekend I saw a seedling plant that I did not recognise, no surprise there then I hear you mutter.

I certainly couldn't find it in any of my UK wild flower guides.

Can you do better ?.










I sent the image to Doctor of chemistry and amateur but very credible botanist Peter Llewellyn who very quickly responded as follows.

'' Hello John, your plant is Himalayan Balsam (Impatiens glandulifera)  which is an invasive, annual, introduced species causing much havoc along damp verges and river banks throughout the British Isles. On the positive side, bees love it and much to the annoyance of conservationists, bee-keepers sometime plant it for nectar.

Regards,

Peter Llewellyn. ''.

Did you get it right ?.

What always amazes me about lovers of wildlife and the '' web '' is the availability of guidance that is offered by highly qualified people who are willing to impart their knowledge for their love of their discipline.

Heartfelt thanks Peter.

No comments:

Post a Comment