Thursday 28 August 2014

Tubney Fen, Near Reach - Cambridgeshire.


This little watched reed bed is associated with nearby Wicken Fen ( National Trust ) and on its day can hold quite a variety of birds.

It has an '' open plan '' hide that can be a bit like a wind tunnel when the wind is from the east. The scrape comes within ten feet of the hide and a nearby barbed wire fence provides good perching opportunities, a very photographer friendly site.

This linnet  is one of many that visit from  the surrounding peat based agricultural land, this male is a classic representation of the species.

I have spent many a happy hours here watching Hobby's hawking and  visiting Marsh Harriers floating over the reeds..






























1 comment:

  1. Whilst I was in recuperation at Papworth one of the nurses was a birder and she took me to Wicken Fen I had never been birding until then and we saw Turtle Doves and I saw a twitch of a Squaco Heron a fantastic reserve

    ReplyDelete